In this section you will find answers to the following questions:

  • What are Winter Fuel Payments?
  • Who can claim?
  • What if I live in a care home?

What are Winter Fuel Payments?

Winter Fuel Payments are tax-free yearly payments made to any household where one of the residents is over 60 years old.

The payments are designed to help with extra heating and lighting during winter months.

For 2011-12, the payment is £200 for those aged 60-79 and £300 for those aged 80+.

Who can claim?

To claim Winter Fuel Payments you MUST be 60 years old by the third Monday in September. To check your eligibility, you should contact the Winter Fuel Payments helpline on 08459 151 515.

A Winter Fuel Payment will be paid automatically if you receive other state benefits, or if you received the payment last year.

What if I live in a care home?

If you qualify by age and live permanently in a care home and DO NOT receive Pension Guarantee Credit, you should receive a Winter Fuel Payment.